Monday, May 30, 2005

My Thoughts On This

I had an interesting experience at work today. A friend that I hadn't seen in a while was in the mall and stopped by to say Hi. She had two other chicks with her (I didn't know them...I don't think they're from around here). Anyway, I chatted with my friend for a little bit, and then they left. But, just as they were leaving one of there girls I didn't know came up to me (the others kept walking), and asked me if she could ask me a personal question. She asked me if I had a relationship with Jesus. I think my exact response was "Um, yes I do ... Very much". Then she said ok and left. Sometimes people go around the mall with tracts, so I had heard this before. This one stood out to me.

I had a few reactions, on was "wow, I'm impressed with her boldness to ask that" (besides being introduced to her, we didn't say anything to each other). If she had been someone that I had helped to find shoes, and we were in a conversation, it would have been easier. But, she asked me without knowing anything about me.

Following that reaction comes another. "Did God tell her to ask me....Am I not a good enough Christian?". This one I kinda chalk up as the devil trying to use this situation to plant insecurities in my mind.

Then, somewhere in this mismash of thoughts comes (I think) a really important thought, one that deserves considering. I thought of how that whole situation made me feel. It made me feel stupid, kind of used (which isn't the best way to describe it, but I have not words to explain), and a bit angry at the same time. I'm a Christian, and it made me feel like that, I wonder how that would make non-Christians feel. I think one of two reactions would take place. Either they would commend her for caring, or they would get angry because she had no right to push her beliefs on them. And, no matter what reaction they would have, why would they want to pour their heart out to her, a total stranger (in my case I didn't even say a word to her beyond "hi", she really didn't know anything about me). What would she have done anyway if I wasn't a Christian, she's not from around here, she couldn't build any relationship with me....and even if she was, I wouldn't have wanted to start a relationship with her... I wouldn't want to be anyone's friend because the purpose of that friendship was to convert me. I don't mean to offend people, I think this method can definitely be effective...but it seems impersonal and outdated.

I don't really know where I'm going with all of this, but I just think that there has to be a better way. I'm not saying that we're never going to offend people, Christianity isn't all about making people feel happy (warm fuzzy). I just don't know. And if God had put a burden on her heart for me, why didn't she just ask my friend (she's fully aware that I'm a Christian), but even if I wasn't, then my friend could try to talk to me. Like I said I don't really have a point I'm trying to make, I'm just struggling with this situation and I'm not really sure why.

Hmmm, I'm out of thoughts about this for tonight.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lori said...

That's quite the experience...and I understand the confusion of how this type of evangelism makes you feel. I've had people come through my checkout and give me tracts after I have told them that I am a Christian. I've had my cousins give my whole family tracts at family gatherings. It's wierd and yet sort of admirable.....but in my families case...I don't understand the tract thing because, we're family, if you have something to say to us...say it...the relationship is already established....oh well. to each their own, I guess.

11:08 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

completely understand. we really struggled with that in taiwan when we were supposed to do open-air evangelism. why would these people care to answer someone who can't even speak their language?? so people come up with friendship evangelism, which just seems like frienship with an agenda. call me postmodern, but i'd rather let my light shine through our experiences together and not by some formula i follow and try to put people through. very thoughtful..thanks kenj,
marce

4:15 p.m.  
Blogger Kendra said...

I see you've been reading the "book of deception" Marce ;) What do you think?

2:25 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my mom's actually dropping it off for me now, cuz i'm alone at the office and it's SO SLOW! it's good...but i'm halfway through and i feel like i haven't jumped even an eighth of the way in!

3:31 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home